Red Blaze Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.04870°N / 73.47559°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Not much to overview, this is a short trail with a short scramble before the summit. I've put it as Class 3 because you might need to use your hands in a spot or two but some would also consider this Class 2. To be sure, you can fall and hurt yourself, especially when wet.

The hike starts in the forest and breaks through in spots along the scramble section with some nice viewpoints on the summit. Views include Mt. Frissell to the west, Riga Lake to the south and the Berkshires to the east. It's less than a mile long and maybe 400-500 feet of elevation gain.

Summit

Getting There

See the Getting There section of the main page for directions to the trailhead. This is also the same start and first part of the Mt. Frissell Trail.

Route Description

From the trailhead, head west along an old road and in a couple tenths of a mile, the trail will head left (south-ish). After a short distance you will come to a section which scrambles up some rock. Follow the red blazes along the rocks. You'll scramble up to a nice viewpoint to the north and then enter some shorter trees for a short section to the summit. It's hard to tell where the exact summit is as there are so many cairns about but there is one main one a bit left (west towards Mt. Frissell) from where the trail flattens out on the summit plateau.

Again, follow red blazes on this trail. Descend the same way. Or, keep on going over to Mt. Frissell and Brace Mountain.

Essential Gear

None needed, this is a nice, short quick hike.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.