Red Mountain (Vernal, UT)

Red Mountain (Vernal, UT)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.59400°N / 109.5547°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 7798 ft / 2377 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Red Mountain sits in the foothills of Uinta Mountains 10 miles to the north of Vernal, Utah. With a prominence of 578 ft, Red Mountain is Utah’s 1556th highest ranked peak. To the north, a 7220 ft saddle separates Red Mountain from a plateau that rises to 8600 ft. The southern slopes of Red Mountain are gentle and go down to reach Steinaker Reservoir just north of Vernal. The red slopes of Red Mountain are best seen from the community of Dry Fork to the west. These slopes are not visible from Vernal.

The easiest way to reach the summit of Red Mountain is from the north via a 1.5 mile long trail. On the southern slopes of Red Mountain, you will find a 5 mile long pathway that starts at 6200 ft and goes to near the summit. This pathway is apparently popular with motorcycle and ATV enthusiasts.




West face of Red Mountain as seen from Dry Fork, Utah

Getting There

Directions to the north trailhead:

From the intersection of Route 191 and 2500 west (Taylor Mountain Road) in Vernal, Utah, drive 13.5 miles north on 2500 West (the last couple of miles or so are on a well graded dirt road) to Forest Road 429. I parked at the start of 429. You could drive the much rougher 429 Road a short distance more downhill.

Route

Red Mountain from the start of Road 429.

Red Mountain from start of Road 429


Hike or drive the road toward Red Mountain going down a good 180 vertical feet to reach the 7220 ft saddle at the base of Red Mountain.

Red Mountain


You will find yourself at the start of a very steep red colored dirt slope.

Steep red slope


Follow the path going directly up the crazy steep slope.

Hiking up the steep red slope


Looking down the steep slope.

From the top of the steep red slope


You are now on a plateau below the summit.

Summit of Red Mountain


Follow the trail up the slope to reach a dirt road that takes you close to the summit. You will have to whack your way a short distance to reach the summit.

Summit of Red Mountain


Views from the summit.

Looking SWLooking SW
Looking NELooking NE
Walls of Ashley GorgeWalls of Ashley Gorge
Taylor Mountain RoadTaylor Mountain Road
Little Mountain, looking SWLittle Mountain, looking SW
Big Brush Gorge, looking NEBig Brush Gorge, Looking NE

Looking SWLooking SW

Red Tape

No fees or permits required.

When to Climb

Spring, summer, fall.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Uinta MountainsMountains & Rocks