Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 36.23367°N / 114.50295°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Mar 23, 2007
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring

Redstone Peaks Hike

Redstone Peaks














We started off on the Redstone Trail. We then scrambled over the sandstone then on the NE side of point 950 on the topo map. We then could see Redstone Peak. We chose to take the gully up to the summit instead of hiking around to the saddle on the west side. This was a nice little workout. Once in the gully though some of the rocks were loose and you had to be careful what you grabbed onto.












Once on the summit of Redstone, there was a summit register that said it was the HP of the Black Mountains, 3524 feet.

Rainbow at Sunset over Lake Mead















We then scrambled east over to a small peak, about 3445 feet. We placed a summit register there. The views as we got to the summit were stellar. A rainbow formed over Lake Mead along with awesome cloud formations. The scenery was the best I’ve seen while hiking all year.

Then we continued down the ridge and up East Redstone. After a few minutes on the summit, it was past sunset and we started hiking down. We took the ridge just below the saddle of East Redstone. We had to get out our headlamps. We got to a point and looked over and there was a cliff. Since it was dark we couldn’t make out details, so we finally found a route around and tracked our location on our GPS back to the parking lot. This added about ¼ mile to our return trip.

I wish there was more daylight so there would have been time to get some additional peaks in the area.



Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Lake Mead NRATrip Reports
 
Redstone PeakTrip Reports
 
East Redstone PeakTrip Reports