Refuge de la Glère

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.83336°N / 0.10025°E
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Difficulty: F
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.0 (YDS)
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The route from Refuge de la Glère (2103m) is less popular than the route from Lac d'Aubert, but the refuge is a good option to spend the night.

Getting There

Refuge de la GlèreRef. de la Glère

Barèges is a small village in the west side of the famous Col du Tourmalet, between Luz-St-Saveur and Bagnères de Bigorre. The shorter access is from the highway to Tarbes. You take exit 12 to Lourdes, Argeles-Gazost, Pierrefitte, Luz-St-Saveur and barèges. Two km after Barèges is the road to Plateau de Lienz where the road ends and it begins the forest track of 4 km to the end in a small parking. The track follows but it's forbbiden to drive.

Route to Refuge de la Glère: a walk-up of 600md, 1h20min.

Route Description

Breche de ChausenqueBreche Chausenque (W)

Brecha ChausenqueBreche Chausenque (E)

You begin in Refuge de la Glére (2103m) taking the path with signal to Refuge Packe. In a little col you must leqave the route of Refuge Packe following the indication "Lacs de Néouvielle". In the Lac de Mail we turn to left side (the right side is for Turon de Néouvielle), following cairns among the stones. We cross the small dam and we walk near of the river following more cairns in a labyrinth of blocks of stone. We're under Néouvielle but we need climb the hard ramp with scree and stones to the plateau of upper side. It's not difficult but is disagreable. In the plateau we reach the bottom of the ridge of the peak but the access is on left side. You see the small col in the center of a cracked ridge with a ramp under it. It's the Breche de Chausenque, the important point of access from the North. The ramp is easy but the snow is frequent on spring and early on summer in this area. In the col we turn to right side following the cairns to reach the point of entry of the route from Lac d'Aubert.

Essential Gear

Crampons and ice-axe in spring (May-June) and early on summer (first weeks of July). If you don't know the conditions of the snow you can ask in the refuge de la Glère.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.