Revenge on Slavkovský

Revenge on Slavkovský

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 49.16644°N / 20.18394°E
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: May 10, 2008
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring

The story behind the pictures

Kékestető
<b>Least Primrose</b> - <i>Primula minima</i>
Getting closer...
Prostredný hrot
Arriving to the top
Summit cross of Slavkovský štít
Well, this is somewhere on the boundary between being an album and a trip report, although I chose for the latter. Not a lengthy one, though, sorry...

View to Veľká Studena dolina

Once upon a time, in the first days of May, 2008, I've made an unsuccessful attempt with friends to climb Slavkovský štít (pl: Slawkowski Szczyt, de: Schlagendorfer Spitze, hu: Nagyszalóki-csúcs) after visiting the Slovak Paradise (see images from that trip in the album Weekend in Paradise). After returning home, I chatted with SP member Tomáš Krištofóry about the trip, who came up with the idea to try again the very next weekend together. Unfortunately Tomáš had to cancel taking part the day before, so the mini-SP gathering did not get realised.

Great Cold Valley

However, the group of 7 crazy Hungarians were ready to pay a swift 1-day visit to the High Tatras. We started from Budapest at 4:30 am, rode a car and a motorbike all the way to Starý Smokovec. The hike began at 9:00 am. We had a pit stop (eating and drinking) at Hrebienok and headed for the summit right after that. The sky wasn't totally clear, but was much better than a week before, so we hoped for good. The path was clear from snow for quite a while, only the last 200 meters or so had to be made in snowy ground (which was actually melting, thus a little bit uncomfortable). Although the weather gradually deteriorated during the climb (clouds managed to bump over Lomnický štít), our group could still enjoy some view and occasional sunshine on the summit, which we reached at about 12:30 pm. Having spent about half an hour there, we turned back down at 1:00 pm.

View of Veľká Studená dolina

As no visit to Slovakia can be complete without eating some bryndzové halusky and buying a set of brown Šariš beer, we had to accomplish these duties as well before rolling home. Another 5-hours passed by (spent by driving, so perhaps "passed by" isn't the right expression) until I could unlock the door of my home at midnight. The day was long and high...
Kráľova hoľa
Lomnický štít in clouds
Slavkovský štít
Before the last slope
Looking back down to Stary Smokovec
Summit cross of Slavkovský štít

Summit photo

Slavkovský štít with Peter Budai on its topOur group on the summit :) viewn from Slovak Paradise
photo by Tomáš Krištofóry


Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Slavkovsky StitTrip Reports