Ruta Sur

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 19.49346°N / 102.25199°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: YDS class 1 hike
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is a popular ascent route up the volcano when approaching on horses. The hike begins at the same spot but it skips the steam vents so is more direct. The horses are left at a shade tree at the bottom of the cone. The ascent will take 30 - 45 minutes. It is described as "most of a day" because the ride in and out takes 5 to 6 hours. The descent will leave you emptying your footwear.

Getting There

Refer to the main page for how to arrive. The approach is covered on horseback.

Route Description

Beneath the prominent vertical descent trough is a shade tree. Here three paths converge: the descent, the obvious sloping ascent route, and a less obvious path through the jumbled basalt to the souther volcanic vent.

The path is not too steep and is similar to hiking up a sand dune. It isn't very fun but you won't be on it for long. The route starts in the east and ascends counterclockwise to a point just below the summit. Below to the right is the southern volcanic vent with plenty of steam still escaping.

The environmentally friendly descent route is to take the more gentle, winding standard ascent path down but that philosophy has not reach this part of Mexico yet. If you came with a local guide he will take you directly down the descent gulley.

Essential Gear

The only essential gear is a bit of water and sun protection.

External Links

Add External Links text here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.