Sand Spring Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.49550°N / 76.6342°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike (Class 1-2)
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Follow the directions in the "Getting There" section of the main page.

Route Description


This route is named for the spring at the east end of Dehart Dam which feeds into Clarks Creek and eventually the Dehart Dam. The start of the route takes you down a hill to the creek where in the summer it can easily be crossed on some rocks. At most other times of year though, you'll need to use the fallen tree and scoot across or use whatever method works best for you to get to the other side.

From here the trail makes a gradual ascent to the base of the main ridge of Stony Mountain. This first section is a beautiful walk in the woods. Then its time for the steep hiking to begin. You gain almost all 800 feet in one swoop as the trail heads strait up for the saddle in the ridge. Behind you and across the valley you'll get views of Peters Mountain and back down to Dehart Dam. Continue steeply up to the saddle. Without snow, the footing on this trail is pretty treacherous. It looks as though someone has just dumped piles of rocks in random places all over the trail to create and obstacle for anyone using it. Snow is best! Continue to the south side of the saddle and turn left onto a yellow blazed trail.

From here it is a short half mile to the summit and overlook to the south side of the mountain. This is a nice ridge walk as you are surrounded by PA's famous laurel. The footing on this section of trail is very good as well........well better than most trails in PA. The view extends east, south, and west taking in a large portion of the capitol region of Central PA.

Essential Gear


Comfortable hiking boots, food/water, trekking poles, and a camera.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.