Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Activities Activities: Hiking, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 7270 ft / 2216 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

To call Sandegg a summit is a bit overdone. Located between Schlierewand to the northeast and Seelakopf to the south, Sandegg is a mere sandy bump where the main ridge of the Rudiger subgroup within eastern Lechtaler Alpen bends to the south. That´s why it is called Sandegg, sandy corner.

Sandegg is an easy summer and autumn hike. In winter ski mountaineers come up Kelmer Kar to the sandy edge and ski down again over nice slopes into the cirque before summiting Kalter Stein or Engelspitzen on the south end of the huge cirque.

Sandegg is a beautiful place which offers good views into the surrounding mountains. As Rudiger subgroup is a rather unknown and lonely mountain range, Sandegg can be a quiet place for a quiet day out in the Lechtaler Alpen.

Sandegg (left) as seen from Kelmer Kar cirque
Sandegg (left) as seen from Kelmer Kar cirque
Sandegg (left) and Schlierewand as seen from Seelakopf north ridge
Sandegg (left) and Schlierewand as seen from Seelakopf north ridge

Getting There

Best trailhead for Sandegg is Kelmen.

Alternatively use the parking area near Rotlech bridge of the road number L27 between Berwang and Namlos.

Sandegg summit with Knittelkarspitze (left) and Tannheimer Berge (far distance)
Sandegg summit with Knittelkarspitze (left) and Tannheimer Berge (far distance)

By car:

From Reutte or Arlberg direction

  • use road number 198 to Stanzach. Turn on the “Berwang-Namloser Landesstraße”, number L 27, (signs for Namlos, Berwang)
  • Alternatively use road number 179 from Reutte to Bichlbach and turn on the L 27 road.

From Innsbruck or Munich

  • go on highway A 12 to the exit “Telfs”, proceed on road number 189 to Nassereith and on road number 179 to Fernpass, Lermoos and Bichlbach. Follow the signs to Berwang and Namlos on road number L 27.
  • Take highway A95 from Munich to its end and proceed on road number B2 and B23 / 187 to Lermoos. Turn on road number 179 to Bichlbach and go on road number L 27.

Pass through Berwang and Rinnen, take the right hand road at a road junction after Rinnen, descend into Rotlech valley and pass the river on the roads bridge.

Two switchbacks after the bridge there is a huge hikers parking area alongside the road; this is a good trailhead for Schlierewand and Sandegg forth and back.

Alternatively proceed on the road to Namlospass col, about 1 km before the village of Kelmen. There is a small parking area about 500 m after the col on the right or left side of the road. This is the trailhead for Kelmer Kar cirque and Sandegg, Schlierewand, Seelakopf, Engelspitzen, Schlierekopf and Kalter Stein.

Public transportation:

Nearby railroad station is: Bichlbach

Bus number 151 goes to Rinnen. There is no public transportation to Kelmen or Namlos as far as I know.

 

Routes Overview

 

Kelmer Kar cirque route:

Trailhead Kelmen.

Ascend the meadow to the south of the trailhead on a car track and a trail to the bridge over Kelmen creek. Ascend the valley up to Kelmer Kar cirque and the forest service hut. There is a trail junction. Take the left hand trail which leads up to Sandegg.

This is the ski route, too.

The trail from Kelmer Kar to Sandegg
The trail from Kelmer Kar to Sandegg
Arriving the ridge above Kelmer Kar near Sandegg with Namloser Wetterspitze (center), Englspitzen (left), Kalter Stein (right)
Arriving the ridge above Kelmer Kar near Sandegg with Namloser Wetterspitze (center), Englspitzen (left), Kalter Stein (right)

Trailhead Rotlech bridge.

Follow the forest road into Rotlech valley in southeastern direction. Take the first trail to the right zigzagging up to Schlierewand, using the northeast ridge of the mountain. Proceed easily to Sandegg on the southwestbound ridge.

From Sandegg you too can start a traverse of Seelakopf and continue to Engelspitzen, Schlierekopf and/or Kalter Stein before you descend into Kelmer Kar and return to Kelmen trailhead.

Red Tape & Accommodation

No red tape as far as I know

Soft Sandegg summit
Soft Sandegg summit

You find accommodation at:

Berwang

Rinnen

Kelmen

Namlos

 

There are no mountain huts around.

 

Gear & Mountain Condition

Sandegg can be summited nearly the whole year. It is an easy hiking summit in late spring, summer and autumn and requires normal hiking gear.

In winter it is a moderate ski tour and needs full ski tour and avalanche gear.

See the Tirol avalanche bulletin here.

The near level ridge between Schlierewand and Sandegg (right of center) with Kelmer Kopf in the center
The near level ridge between Schlierewand and Sandegg (right of center) with Kelmer Kopf in the center
Sandegg and Thaneller in the background as seen from near Kalter Stein
Sandegg and Thaneller in the background as seen from near Kalter Stein

Weather condition:

 

Map

A beautiful example of Rhinantus minor found in Kelmen Kar
A beautiful example of Rhinantus minor found in Kelmen Kar
Saxifraga aizoides along a small creek below Kelmen Kar on the way to Sandegg
Saxifraga aizoides along a small creek below Kelmen Kar on the way to Sandegg

Alpenvereinskarte, scale 1 : 25000

number 3 / 4, Lechtaler Alpen, Heiterwand und Muttekopfgebiet

with trails and ski routes, UTM grid

edition 2020