Sandia Crest, New Mexico

Sandia Crest, New Mexico

Page Type Page Type: Album

Add Heading here

For New Years 2008, I had the chance to visit New Mexico with my family. Usually when traveling with my family I get the chance to take for a day and go hiking. This particular trip I realized early on that I wanted to visit Sandia Crest and the best way for that was take my family on the aerial tramway that rises up at about 6,500 feet and ascends to Sandia's high southern shoulder at 10,378 feet. The tramway is very similar in feeling and appearance to the Palm Springs Tramway in California.

The Sandia Crest is the third most prominent peak in New Mexico. The highpoint tops out at 10,678 feet overlooking the city of Albuquerque. The Sandia's have a pinkish color due to their largely granite base. The western escarpment displays the granite base underneath the limestone crust that covers the summit ridgeline and eastern slopes.

I really was impressed with this range and look forward to returning and hiking up from the west. I can't explain enough how much I wanted to tramp off and gain the highpoint 1.5 miles away from the station in foot or so snow, but I'm a family guy and will have to return someday.

External Links

Sandia Peak Tramway

Cibola National Forest

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Bubba Suess

Bubba Suess - Jan 3, 2008 3:51 pm - Voted 10/10

Good shots...

You ought to attach the entire album and the pictures to the Sandia Peak page. It needs some good additions.

theronmoon

theronmoon - Jan 3, 2008 5:06 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Good shots...

Thanks! Will do.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.