Sasse Mountain Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 47.35754°N / 121.05551°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Sasse Mountain Trail (#1340) is the established trail leading to, and crossing over, the true summit of Sasse Mountain. The trail, in its entirety, follows nearly the entire Sasse Ridge, of which Sasse Mountain is the central section. The trail also passes through the summit of Hex Mountain near the trail's southern end.

Route Description

From its northernmost terminus to its southernmost terminus, the Sasse Mountain Trail is 9.4 miles long one-way. The true summit of Sasse Mountain is located 3.0 miles from its northernmost terminus and 6.4 miles from its southernmost terminus.

However, if the Sasse Mountain summit is the planned objective, hiking distance can be significantly altered by attaining the Sasse Mountain Trail from one of several trails closer to the summit. Most notably, via the Howson Creek Trail (#1349), which would be approximately 4.0 miles each way, or via the Little Salmon la Sac Trail (#1325), which would be approximately 1.6 miles each way (with a possible 1-2 miles additional hiking, each way, needed if road closures and/or gates prevent vehicles from traveling to the end of Road #128).

There are several false summits in addition to the true summit. Approximately 0.5 miles north of the true summit, there is a false summit at 5610' elevation. Approximately 0.5 miles south of the true summit, there is a false summit at 5350' elevation. Approximately 1.5 miles southwest of the true summit, there is a false summit at 5468' elevation. None of the mountain summits (true or false) have panoramic views, due to thick forestcover, although the ridgelines and saddles connecting the highpoints have great west-east views.

Getting There

FROM I-90:
1) Take Exit 80 and head north on Bullfrog Road (SR-903). You will hit two traffic circles on the way to Roslyn. In both traffic circles focus on continuing north (straight) to Roslyn (not Suncadia Resort or Cle Elum).

2) Once in Roslyn, continue through town on SR-903. After the next town is reached (Ronald), the road is also known as Salmon la Sac Road.

3a) The southern terminus of the Sasse Mountain Trail (#1340) is located off Forest Road #4305 and Road #118.
3b) The Hex Mountain Trail (#1343) is located off Road #112.
3c) The Howson Creek Trail (#1349) is located off Salmon la Sac Road (SR-903), across the road from the Cle Elum Campground.
3d) The Little Salmon la Sac Trail (#1325) is located off Road #128.
3e) The northern terminus of the Sasse Mountain Trail (#1340) is located at Forest Road #4315, or can be joined from the Jolly Mountain Trail (#1307) where the two trails meet at 5600' elevation.

Essential Gear

Standard hiking gear.

This trail is not recommended during snow season, due to multiple steep avalanche-prone slopes and unstable terrain. However, if a traverse is being attempted while snow is still present then an ice axe is highly advised.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.