Sawyer Mountain South Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.80279°N / 74.33483°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Grade I bushwhack
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is an enjoyable bushwhack route up Sawyer Mountain's south ridge. It passes through relatively open maple forests and has several rock outcroppings along the way for partial views. Round trip is 2+ hours, depending upon the amount of sightseeing performed, and about 2 miles.

Getting There

Take New York State Highway 28/30 west of the town of Indian Lake. After about 1.5 miles, turn left onto the marked Cedar River Road. Drive 1.8 miles.  On the right you will see a blocked off entrance to an old sand pit.  Find a pull out and park.  This is state land.  You should be fine parking anywhere off of the paved right-of-way as long as no one is planning to plow snow.

Route Description

Walk into the old sand pit.  The hike start is at 1760 feet. Head on a compass heading due north through the mixed hardwood forest. Climbing is steady but only moderate slope at best. After about 15 minutes of travel you will reach a nubble on the ridge with some outcroppings and partial views. Follow the ridge up the mountain, generally north, for about another 30 minutes of travel. Occasional small outcroppings are passed with partial views. The forest understory is fairly open the entire climb. Reach what I believe to be the true summit after about 45 minutes from the road. Continue north, descending into a very modest col. Continue for another few minutes until you intersect with the marked trail from the highway. Turn left to the ledges with the west view. Turn right to the ledges with north and east view. Total climb is about 940 feet.

Essential Gear

Compass and/or GPS and topo. map. This is a bushwhack.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.