Schynige Platte

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.67485°N / 7.99915°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Route of Schynige PlatteSchynige Pl.

The classical route from Schynige Platte to Faulhorn and First is a perfect option for hikers with a good training and one of the best landscapes of the area of Grindelwald. The slope of 710 meters of difference is not high and the full traverse of 16km had a time of 6h 30 minutes generally.
The best point to lodge is Grindelwald and you can take a train to Wilderswill and Schynige Platte. For this reason the best option in the summit of Faulhorn is not the return to Schynige Platte, it's better the descent to the beautifull area of lakes of Bach and the prolongation to the cableway of First to descent to Grindelwald.

Getting There

Eiger, Mönch and JungfrauThe trilogy

In Grindelwald take the train to Wilderswill. In the station of Wilderwill you must to take the little train to Schynige Platte, trailhead of the route.

Route Description

The Panoramaweg to FaulhornPanoramaweg
Path to FaulhornPath
FaulhornFaulhorn

We begin in Schynige Platte (1967m) leaving the station and the garden walking to left side and following the signals to Panoramaweg (Daube). It's possible another route (weg) without the pass across Daube and Obernerghorn but the landscape of great lakes of Interlaken is wonderfull in panoramaweg near of the ridge over the lakes.

After a short path bordering Gummihorn we reach the view point of Daube (2068m) in 15 minutes. The path descent a little to reach the bottom of the peak Oberberghorn, a precious peak of twin rocky summits. In a few of minutes we can reach the summit of the peak leaving the normal path across some stairs. Great view in the summit of Oberberghorn (2067m).
The path descent to joint with the normal weg of Schynige Platte and in a easy walk-up we reach the col under the peak Loucherhorn (2230m) called Gürotürli (1929m).
Männdlennen and the Weberhütte (2344 m)Männdlenen

The path had now some stones but under the great wall of the peak Ussri Sägissa (2426m) the itinerary is easy. The landscape of south with the view of Jungfrau, Mönch, Eiger and Fisteraarhorn is really wonderfull. We reach a little col (Egg, 2125m) and we walk under the impressive Indri Sägissa (2463m) , really a great vertical wall impossible to climb and for this reason the route make a great circle to the east and in the col of Gotthard (2276m) we turn to the west behind the peak to reach the refuge of Männdlenen at 2344m. It's a good moment to take a coke or beer and to rest a little time.

The Faulhorn is visible from here and we must to walk the hardest ramp in the first meters after the refuge to reach a narrow path over a new wall. We reach a new col (2500m) with the ridge Winteregg in west side and we walk to the east to a great grassy plain under the cone peak of Faulhorn. After a short ramp we reach the hotel of the summit of Faulhorn (2681m) the oldest mountain hut of Europe.
For the descent you must to consult the route of First

Essential Gear

Good boots, water...

External Links

alps.virtualave interesting pictures of panoramaweg.
myswissalps short hike from Schynige Platte.
LiveCam-First
Grindelwald turism information


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

FaulhornRoutes