Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Aug 26, 2012
Activities Activities: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer

Add Heading Here

View of Mt. Superior from near Cardiff Pass

My wife and I parked next to the “Our Lady of the Snows” church and hit the trail at about 8:30am. Study a map prior to heading out on this one; I was surprised to not see one sign the entire trip. What a beautiful day, hardly a cloud in the sky. This route over Cardiff Pass has a lot of sun exposure the entire route. Luckily we loaded up on sun block prior to heading out this fine day. With such a short rout and significant elevation gain the trail starts a descent climb right off the bat and continues the climb all the way to Cardiff Pass. Once at the pass, you get treated to some fairly level trail for a bit. Then the falling exposure presents itself and doesn’t really go away the rest of the rout to the summit. As I read on a previous trip report, this hike will in my mind make or break your fear of heights. After a somewhat gradual climb and some time to adjust to the exposure, you encounter some loose rock.
Almost to the ridge

















Then the class 3 starts, you are treated to an enjoyable scramble pretty much the rest of the way to the summit. The whole way you are reminded of the falling exposure as you step and grab on loose rock big and small with the beautiful but steep terrain below. This isn’t a big deal as long as you pay attention to what you’re grabbing and stepping on. Also pay extra attention to the route you use to get up; there are several misleading trails that branch off (see the attached gpx file).
View West from the top of Mt. Superior




















Once on top the views are great in all directions!

We were disappointed to see the local weather forecast the previous night changed from full sun to possible thunderstorms. This is always a challenge while trying to summit peaks. With a combination of the forecast and quickly building dark cumulus clouds, we opted to settle for just Superior this day and skip Monte Cristo. We’ll definitely hit Cristo the next time we visit this scenic summit.
















Mt. Superior from the Little Cottonwood Canyon highway.




I would recommend this summit to anyone who likes scrambling. I would compare the scrambling skill level to that of Mount Raymond or Mount Olympus, the scrambling section here just lasts longer and has a little more exposure (sun & falling). I kept talking myself out of doing this one all summer, I’m glad we finally did it. I logged 2.30 miles with about 2700’ of elevation gain one way to the summit. About 3000’ elevation gain after some route finding on the way down when it was all said and done (up’s and downs). My wife and I both had a really enjoyable time on this Wasatch scrambling classic!



Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
leslie78

leslie78 - Aug 29, 2012 11:13 pm - Hasn't voted

:)

Excellent description, Honey! It almost made me feel like I was there! ;) But seriously, that was one of my most favorite hikes. I had tons of fun with you! :) Love you !

Ryan Borzea

Ryan Borzea - Aug 31, 2012 1:30 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: :)

Glad you enjoyed it! This one had a little more exposure than the rest of our hikes. Love you too!

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.