SE Ridge via Seymour Creek Trail

SE Ridge via Seymour Creek Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.04992°N / 113.18968°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Bouldering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is certainly not the most direct route but it will get the job done.

There are long stretches of forested traverse, a drainage to drop into and negotiate, and a challenging summit ridge to top off your effort.

Getting There

From Hwy 1 east of Anaconda take the Anaconda/Big Hole road headed for Wisdom. It is just to the east of the very visible Anaconda smokestack.

From Hwy 1, it is 19 miles to Seymour Creek Road (FR 934) which does not have a sign until you are a 1/4 mile up Seymour Creek Road. There is a National Forest entrance sign just prior to the turnoff.

Travel 6.8 miles to the end of the road where the trailhead for Seymour Creek Trail 131 is located.

Route Description

Hike up Seymour Creek Trail and after only 1/4 to 1/2 mile head cross country right up the hillside. You will gain roughly 1200' as the ridge rounds off.

Your next step will be to drop about 300' into the Sullivan Creek drainage. From here pick your best spot to gain Evans' SE ridge.

When taking on the final ridge section to the summit stay to the left (Mount Howe side). When the rock turns red, cross over to the right side of the ridge (Mount Haggin side) and gain the summit.



Mount Evans SE ridgeSE ridge

Essential Gear

Gloves, if they are your preference.

A GPS can be of great value in working your way back out through the long forested sections.

Trip Stats

Trailhead elevation: 6800'
Round trip elevation gain: 4400'
Round trip distance: 9 miles (more or less depending on route)

Summit Views

Great White PeakGreat White


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.