Sella Festons

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.49083°N / 12.71118°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Hike
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Looking across Malga FestonsMalga Festons seen from Sella Festons

The western route to Monte Pieltinis is the most direct route to the mountain. Like the Malga Pieltinis Route in the east it follows a mountain road for about a third of the way. The road leads in numerous switchbacks to the saddle of Sella Festons, which separates the Sauris Valley from Val Pesarina in the north.

The remaining two thirds can be hiked along mountain and shepherds' tracks which follow the Pieltinis east ridge. However, they rather run along the southern slopes of the ridge, some 100m beneath the ridgeline and only at Sella Malins will you catch glimpses of the mountains in the north. The final ascent climbs the east ridge of Pieltinis, before switching over to the south ridge, where the Malga Pieltinis Route joins.

Getting There

There is a small parking lot at the western end of Sauris di Sopra. How to get there is described in the Monte Pieltinis main page.

Route Description

Route ProfileRoute Profile Monte Pieltinis

  • General:
      - Start altitude: 1350m
      - Summit altitude: 2027m
      - Prevailing exposure: West close to the summit, no exposure elsewhere
      - Type: Hike
      - Protection: none
  • Effort: 850m
  • Power: 1 - Easy
  • Psyche: 1 - Easy
  • Difficulty: 1 - Easy
  • Orientation: 1 - Marked and Easy

    From the parking lot in the west of Sauris di Sopra follow the main road into the village. Right in the village centre the route to Sella Festons branches off to the left (signs for Casera Rioda. After passing the last houses of Sauris di Sopra the road starts to wind in numerous switchbacks up the south slopes of Monte Festons. At 1750m it turns to the west and heads for Sella Festons. From the saddle you have good views of the Terze and Creton di Clap Grande.
    Sauris di Sotto and Lago di Sauris
    Malga Pieltinis

    Return for about 200m to the south, where a path turns off from the road. It traverses the south slopes of Monte Morgenlait and reaches the next saddle, Sella Malins. For a short section the path turns away from the ridge, which it regains at 1900m. Now there is a rather flat section, before the path turns southward in direction of Monte Hoche Lanar. It reaches the Pieltinis south ridge, where after some 200m the eastern route from Malga Pieltinis joins. Together the two routes run towards the summit nearby.

    Essential Gear

    Hiking gear is sufficient.

  • Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.