Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Sep 13, 2008
Activities Activities: Hiking

Add Heading Here

I started out from Highland Lake upper campground, taking a short cut from the campsite where the trail starts (31) to reach the trail farther up. After clearing the trees above the camp, I headed directly for the Talus at the base of the mountain. When I attempted to climb this in July there was still some snow fields to cross but not this time. I followed the poorly defined "trail" up the slope to what I call the false summit which faces the lakes. The scree slope is a little intimidating but not really bad. I crossed the back side of the "false summit" along the narrow trail where the loose rock and slope requires that you focus on the task. The return from the summit was harder. Once on the ridge, I followed the direct line to the summit pyramid and the class 2 scramble to the summit block. I have seen this trail rated as class one but would rate it class 2 given the footing and need for hand holds in more than a few places. My GPS indicated about 2.4 miles r/t and it took me just about 3 hours from start to finish. This included about 10 or so minutes on the top for photos and a rest stop on the way down.

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Hiram PeakTrip Reports