Sfendali-Mola

Sfendali-Mola

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.20689°N / 23.75519°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The route connects the village of Sfendali with the recreation area of Mola.The whole route proceeds in the N-NE part of Parnitha.Sfendali is a small village,situated just next to a railway station with the same name.It is also beside the national road Athens-Lamia-Thessaloniki(E75) in the 38th Km from Athens.The village is situated 500m from the motorway,in the side of Mt.Parnitha at the elevation of 290m.Mola is at 1040m elevation,so the elevation gain is 750m.The route takes 3-4 hours approximately.

Getting There

One can reach Sfendali by private car,bus(it stops in the nearby town of Malakasa-2km walk) or by train(there is a station inside the village)

Route Description

From the village we follow an ascenting narrow road that proceeds inside the forest in S-SW direction.In 500m the road turns into a gravel road and we continue the gravel road.After 700m there is an intersection and we follow the main and wider gravel road.after another 3km there is a sign of the path in the left side of the road,and here the path leaves the road and proceeds nearly horizontal,beside a small stream.Up to here we have done a 50-60minute walk.After 20 minutes of small ascent we reach a meadow(Palaiomilesi) with a small spring 100m from us in the slope on our left hand.From the meadow we turn a little right,just to cross the small stream and we start ascenting parallel to this stream again.We ascent in the right side of the stream,the slope becomes much steeper,and the path makes some turns as it ascents.After a while the asent becomes easier and the first fir trees appear.We are in a small ravine that opens gradually as we ascent.The vegetation grows higher and more dense,ascenting in a mixed oak-fir forest.









Autumn in Xouliza(meadow between Palaiomilesi and Mola)


















We pass 2 small meadows and we reach Xouliza a big meadow,where another path on our left hand leads to Vrokoli.We continue straight following the wider path and the fir forest begins again.We ascent slightly for hundreds of metres in the same direction inside the thick forest,until the path starts ascenting apparently,leading us out of the forest gradually.After we steeper ascent we reach a gravel road in 990m elevation.From this point we have marvellous view of northern Parnitha,Evia island and its mountains.













Panoramic view of N and NE Parnitha from 1000m elevation,near Mola













We cross the road and we proceed in the same directions ascenting slightly now.The fir forest thickens and we continue ascenting until the path becomes horizontal reaching the highest point of the route(1070m).We are careful for the next minutes,because the path is quite mixed up.We try to locate the next sign of the path because the forest is dense and the area not characteristic in case of low visibility.We descent slightly for some minutes until we reach the large valley of Mola and its recreation area.








Northern slopes of Karavola peak


Essential Gear

Gaiters and warm clothing in winter,nothing else.

External Links



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

ParnithaRoutes