Shadow Mountains (Mojave Desert)

Shadow Mountains (Mojave Desert)

Page Type Page Type: Album

Shadow Mountains

Silver Peak

The Shadows Mountains are a rugged little limestone range in the far western Mojave Desert. The range has commanding views of the western Mojave, especially of Edwards Air Force Base, Muroc Dry Lake, El Mirage Dry Lake, and the San Garbiel Mountains. the nearest developed town is Adelanto and it is about ten miles away. The highest peak is Shadow Mountain Silver at 4120 feet at the western end and Silver Peak 4043 feet at the eastern end. Silver Peak is the more climber oriented peak. Shadow Mountain has a abandoned radio tower on the summit with a high clearance dirt road. Great views from both.

External Links

Weather Underground

For road and highway information in San Bernardino County.


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
rmac10

rmac10 - Feb 26, 2008 5:28 pm - Hasn't voted

Silver Peak

It was a pleasure to see this listing. I've climbed a bunch of peaks in the desert. I do miss that part of my hiking experience since moving to Washington State in 2006. A couple of years ago, I did both the peaks as you did. I definitely preferred Silver Peak itself; it was a fun hike. Thanks for posting this.

theronmoon

theronmoon - Feb 27, 2008 3:25 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Silver Peak

Glad to see someone knows these peaks! Lately I have been climbing the random peaks that make up the western Mojave. Just a really nice overlooked area. And this time of year the views are insane.

rmac10

rmac10 - Mar 30, 2008 8:42 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Silver Peak

Since you are doing other peaks in the Mojave, let me recommend Fremont Peak; it is a terrific hike and is quite remote. Also, Mt. Stoddard--a fabulous ramble with a great view. Ord Mtn. is another terrific climb; it is the highest peak in its area at 6300+.

theronmoon

theronmoon - Mar 31, 2008 12:43 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Silver Peak

Fremont I have been all around but not to the top yet, really want to make the time to do it though. Already have a page for Ord. Stoddard is another I need to do. Thanks for checking it out.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.