Shorter South Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 45.69220°N / 121.9798°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike/Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Follow I-84 East until Cascade Locks. Get off an take the Bridge of the Gods to the WA side of the river. Turn left and follow the road past Bonneville dam. One exit past the dam, there is a small road that goes under the railroad tracks. Turn right followed by a left at the stop light on the other side of the tracks. The road will wind around past a Hot Spring "Resort" and next to a small lake on the left. There will be a large patch of gravel on the left and a small utility road with a chain across it on the right. Park your car here. Hop over the chain with the "do not trusspass" sign on it and follow the road up to a four way intersection. Turn left and follow the power lines. After walking past the big dip in the road, take the next right road all the way to the tree line. You will see a small path with a USFS sign reading "Please do not trusspass on private property." Ironic isn't it?

Route Description


Although this route is admittably less senic than from starting at Bonneville dam, it is almost three miles shorter (one way). This route follows a series of old logging roads along Cedar Creek while the longer route takes you past views of the Gorge, Gillete lake and the southern cliffs of Table Mtn. Once finding the trailhead (see approach section above), you will walk along a narrow and sometimes muddy path until it dead ends into a logging road. Turn right and head up the road towards Carpenters lake. At the split in the road, turn left and head up the hill. At the second split, take the right road and follow it all the way until it dead ends into the PCT. Turn left and follow the signs to Table Mtn.

Essential Gear


While not a necessity, it is nice to have trekking poles for the descent. The combination of moderate angles and scree can easily lead to a rock glissade.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
robertjoy

robertjoy - Nov 26, 2008 10:50 pm - Hasn't voted

Civilized South Route

Park in the guest parking lot of the Bonneville Hot Springs Resort. Walk west thru the utility lot and follow the unpaved road up the hill a short way until it curves left. In 50 feet, just before the road enters the trees, take a marked trail right into the tall grass and brambles. This trail comes out on the abandoned road just south of Carpenter Lake (now a grassy bog). At the fork beside the lake keep left. Soon, at the next fork keep right (left goes to Aldrich Butte) and continue north. At about 1044ft watch for a small trail (right) which will join PCT, keep left (on PCT) and continue north to large sign marking Heartbreak Ridge trail, or further for another large sign marking the more direct South Ridge route.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.