Sierra Buttes Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.59436°N / 120.64978°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Moderate Hiking
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Sierra Buttes Trail is a stunning hike to one of the most impressive fire lookouts in the state. As the trail wanders through the forest it passes impressive views and stunning rock formations, finished off by an airy walk up a metal stairway that is sure to get the blood pumping! This is the route most people will take to the summit, but there are many different trailheads to begin from, depending on how long and challenging you want your hike to be. There are many intersecting trails here and they are not all well-marked, so be sure you have strong navigation skills and bring a map and compass.

Getting There

From Gold Lake Highway, turn left on Paker Lake Road. Shortly after, the road splits. Follow the signs to the right toward Paker Lake. Continue past Paker Lake. The road gets steep and windy here. Continue on to where the road becomes less steep and the road hits a junction. Stay left here onto Butcher Ranch Road. Follow this about a half mile to the wide pullout on the left, which is the trailhead. Alternative worthwhile trailheads are on the opposite side of Packer Lake Road from Packer lake and hiking up the dirt road past Tamaracks Lakes to gain Sierra Buttes Trail via the PCT, or for a longer day begin much lower at Lower Sardine Lake.

Route Description

Begin at the Sierra Buttes Trailhead. Follow the trail about 1.5 miles to where the Pacific Crest Trail splits off. Contine straight at this point along the ridge. You should be able to see the lookout from this ridge, giving you a good feel for the direction you need to go. The trail veers left and continues uphill. You will soon find yourself on the ridge above Young America Lake with stunning views of Sardine Lakes below and the Sierra Buttes Lookout above. Follow this ridge until it meets the dirt parking lot. The trail stays left of the OHV road a short distance before dead-ending into it. Turn left and follow the road up the switchbacks until you reach the base of the stairs. Take a quick break then head up the stairs to enjoy the lookout tower!

 

External Links

 



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.