Sierra Buttes weekend

Sierra Buttes weekend

Page Type Page Type: Album

A beautiful couple spring days in April

First trip up the long North Yuba River canyon to the impressive Sierra Buttes (8,591') rising almost 5,000' above Sierra City. This is a small mountain village that might have gasoline but no food after 6 pm unless Lester who runs the bar is cooking that night.  Friday afternoon went to the Sardine Lakes up in the cirque below the northeast side. Hiked the regular route from Packer Lake to the lookout on the Buttes on Saturday. Met about 15 or so others. Some took the cheaters route arriving only a short distance from the top with 4WD. The weather couldn't have been better.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
colinr

colinr - Apr 20, 2015 1:39 pm - Voted 10/10

Wow! Mid-April!

I think there was more snow when I went there in July many years ago. Warm storms left it barren this year. I have been meaning to get back to that little corner of the Sierra sometime.

Noondueler

Noondueler - Apr 20, 2015 1:48 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Wow! Mid-April!

It is a somewhat isolated area. Only 3,000' population in Sierra County. Not like Carson or Sonora for instance.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.