Slate Mountain Trail #128

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 35.49430°N / 111.8418°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From Humphrey Street in downtown Flagstaff, turn left on US 180 and head 26.1 miles to the northwest until signed Forest Road 191. Take a left on FR 191 and proceed 2 miles to the signed trailhead and parking area on the right side of the road.

The road is passable to low-clearance vehicles in all but the worst conditions.

Route Description


The 2.2 mile trail begins at 7362 feet and follows an old jeep road during the easy 853 foot climb to the summit. It was once used to service a fire lookout tower on the summit, although the tower has been dismantled for some time. The lower elevations of Slate Mountain have been burned by fire, potentially the same forest fire that ravaged parts of nearby Kendrick Peak in 2000. The burnt area is left behind after 0.7 miles of hiking around 7550 feet in elevation. The trail then continues up through juniper and pinyon pines in the lower elevations, and a mixture of fir and ponderosa pines higher up. The trail circles the mountain near the summit providing a multitude of views. The summit is largely clear of large trees offering fantastic vistas of northern Arizona.
The trail is open to hikers, equestrians, and mountain bikers.

Essential Gear


Normal hiking gear.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.