Snowshoe to Red Mountain Summit

Snowshoe to Red Mountain Summit

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 47.39701°N / 121.14493°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jan 13, 2013
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Winter

Snowshoe to Red Mountain Summit


While most of Washington was at home watching the playoff game, I decided to tackle Red Mountain near Salmon La Sac. I failed to reach this summit last spring after a long loop from Thorp Mountain, and a few weeks ago due to deep powder and a lack of snowshoes. Third time is the charm.



DSCF0565
DSCF0560





The thermometer in my car read 5 degrees when I parked on Salmon La Sac road where it meets Road 46. The Forest road was recently groomed for winter recreation and closed to wheeled vehicles, which added 2 miles to the round trip but at least snowshoes were not necessary for the road walk. There was not a cloud in the sky and from the bridge I had a perfect view of Davis Peak and Mount Daniels.



DSCF0583
DSCF0587




My planned route started at the summer trail after the last big creek, in order to avoid any potentially hazardous crossing. Beyond the road there was a thin surface crust over 3-4 inches of powder and a solid layer of consolidated snow beneath that. I found occasional relief from the trail-breaking under the canopy of the larger trees where their melt-off provided a firm footing.



DSCF0590
DSCF0592
DSCF0593




Above 4500' the surface firmed up and Mount Stuart rose into view behind Jolly Mountain and Sasse Mountain to the East. About 200' below the summit the sun disappeared behind a high layer of clouds and that was the last I saw of it until I returned to Renton. This made for a cold summit visit, and so I didn't stay long after pictures and a snack.



DSCF0609
DSCF0672




Most of Mount Adams was visible over the Rainier foothills and I could even see Mount Baker far to the North behind Cathedral Rock. This was the first time I am certain that I was looking at Mount Hinman as well as Mount Daniels, both of which I hope to visit this year.



DSCF0631
DSCF0664
DSCF0677




The descent was quick and painless plunge-stepping through sun softened powder. We didn't see a soul on the mountain until we were passed by a few snowmobiles down at the road. What an amazing day in the Cascades!

 

DSCF0659DSCF0662
DSCF0669
French Cabin Mountains Sunrise Pano
Summit Pano 2


Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Red Mountain (WA)Trip Reports