Snowshoer Thing - Mount Trudee

Snowshoer Thing - Mount Trudee

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 47.33783°N / 91.25104°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jan 14, 2016
Seasons Season: Winter

Snowy Lake Superior Hiking Trail to Mount Trudee

I have been enjoying snowshoeing for a couple of years now, enjoying how it extends the climbing and hiking year.  I have especially been enjoying snowshoeing in the Northwoods of the upper Midwest (Wisconsin, Michigan, and Minnesota).  In January this year I was able to head up to Minnesota's North Shore of Lake Superior.  I had picked a couple of objectives I thought would be good for my best friend Big Al, who was just starting out on showshoes and looking for an intro into the sport.  Unfortunately, his car was ambushed by an ice storm in Cleveland and he could not join me.  Fortunately, he thus could not join me and be ambushed by his friend's questionable summit-influenced judgement of what would be a good trail for a beginner.  In some respects, it felt like my first real snowshoe trip in terms of mileage, elevation, snow depth, and weather conditions.  And while the snow muted the scenery, it was unquestionably wild and beautiful fun.  But it's no sure thing snowshoer thing.

 
Superior Hiking Trail Head - Route 1Superior Hiking Trailhead on a snowy day. 4.8 Miles to Mount Trudee does not seem too bad. Seemed closer on the map.
The first mile into Tettegouche State Park did not lack for views.
 
High Falls of Baptism River in Winter
High Falls of Baptism River, Frozen after a wet Autumn
Frozen Baptism - High FallsLooking down on the Frozen Baptism River's High Falls
 
Bridge Over Frozen WaterBridge Over Frozen Water
 
Boy it was taking longer than I thought it would.  I was used to estimating time in terms of hiking speed, not snowshoeing speed - especially on increasingly less broken trail, with snow increasing as the morning wore on.  And a sign I did not figure out initially...
 
'The Drainpipe' Sign
'The Drainpipe' ? What does that mean?
Looking Up The DrainpipeLooking Up The Drainpipe - what I later learned is a famed segment of Superior Hiking Trail
 
Superior Hiking Trail - Nice PathSnowy Path
 
Lake Superior on a Snowy Day - Superior Hiking TrailFirst Vague Gray Views of Lake Superior through the Snow
 
THERES the SummitOhh..THAT'S the Summit - I thought I was there...
 
Mount Trudee Summit in WinterMount Trudee Summit
 
Summit View of Lake MicmacSummit View of Lake Micmac
Almost Big Mistake:  How to Freeze GlovesAlmost Big Mistake: How to Quick Freeze Gloves While Eating lunch and Taking selfies.
 
Everything I love about snowshoeing...just more of it than I expected.
 
 
 
 


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
MarkDidier

MarkDidier - Feb 5, 2016 6:11 pm - Voted 10/10

Love the North Shore...

...but it's been way too long, like 33 years ago, as a crazy 19 year old on a bicycle. I remember hiking along that river. The falls were amazing, but it was a bit warmer in late June. A really beautiful area. Thanks for posting...

Stu Brandel

Stu Brandel - Feb 5, 2016 9:24 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Love the North Shore...

I too have fallen under the spell of the North Shore - this was my third time and I can't wait to go back. For a Chicagoan like me, it is accessible (8 hours by car) majesty.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mount TrudeeTrip Reports