Snowy Squall on Squaw

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Oct 22, 2012
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Fall

Trip synopsis - be prepared!

summit
summit
Sasha



We left the Reservation Divide trailhead, the shortest route to the summit, and about two hours later were standing on the top. This is one of the shortest times I’ve ever stood on a summit, which totaled about 5-6 minutes. Typically, the first climb of the winter season reminds you a bunch of things you’ve forgotten since last year, similar to how everyone forgets how to drive in the snow and therefore plays bumper cars the first snowy day each season.

On this trip, that amounted to Nick being the only one to who remembered gloves or trekking poles, which we really needed. Neither Connor or Spencer wore ‘long johns,’ and both Connor and I were set to wear sneakers or Chacos until we came to our senses and opted for boots at the trailhead. Yeah, bone-headed to be sure, but hey, we’re no worse for the wear!

This was Connor’s second winter summit, as he just relocated to Missoula from Kentucky. Spencer and Sasha made a surprise visit from Astoria, Oregon. Spencer was our roommate there, a great friend, and is the head brewer at Fort George Brewery, my favorite!

Hopping across the snow-covered talus was the most exciting part of the trip, especially without the security afforded by trekking poles. But hey, we did it! No frostbite, either!!

Photos from the trip are on my blog, here: http://caverpilot.com/2012/10/climbing-squaw-peak-october-22-2012/

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.