Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.28321°N / 116.75701°W
Additional Information County: Owyhee
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5434 ft / 1656 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This peak and the nearby Wilson peak make for a nice Spring hike. This area burned hot in the 2016 Soda fire leaving wide open country which makes cross-country travel fairly easy betwen the two peaks. The view from the top looks down on the Reynolds Creek canyon and the China Ditch trail and is exceptional.

To get there take Highway 45 to Walters Ferry where you will cross the Snake River. Drive a short distance to Highway 78 which turns left and right. Turn right towards Marsing, Idaho and travel a few miles until you see the Wilson Creek Cattle Feeders sign. Turn left and drive approximately 10.5 miles to just below the summit where you'll come to an intersection with a 4-wheel drive road (BLM 37154). Take a left and drive downhill to the water troughs where there is enough room for parking several vehicles. Hike, bike or drive the 4-wheel drive road until you come to an intersection where you take a right that leads to the saddle between Wilson Peak and Soldier Cap. The road ends here.

Route

From the saddle mentioned above it is a short hike to the summit. We traversed to the north side just below the cliffs and then cut back to the left on a broad grassy bench. There was a little bit of scrambling through the rocks to the summit.

Red Tape

None at all. The only consideration is when wet, the soil in this country turns to what we call gumbo. It will turn your tires and the soles of your boots into slicks in an instant.

When to Climb

Spring and Fall are the best time to hike and climb in the Owyhee Range. Summers are often unbearably hot and in winter the roads are not maintained and are often covered in snow.

Camping

Camping is free and can be done just about anywhere on BLM land but there are no services of any kind and most sites are dry. Pack it in and pack it out. Be respectful of private property and the fact that this is open range for cattle.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Robron234

Robron234 - Jul 7, 2015 10:26 pm - Hasn't voted

Actually

I was trying to create a page, but I haven't had time to finish it. Would it make more sense if I had it still "under construction"?

hgrapid

hgrapid - Jul 8, 2015 10:10 am - Voted 1/10

Re: Actually

Yes, under construction. Generally if a page is empty for a few days it gets deleted. I'm looking forward to seeing a completed page for this cool area!

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Owyhee MountainsMountains & Rocks