Solo at almost age 15

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 40.60900°N / 111.741°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: May 7, 1989
This trip was memorable because it was my first overnight solo trip. I was still 14, but only a month away from 15. I though of it as my birthday present to myself. After telling my parents I was camping with friends, I boarded the Fort Union bus Friday after school and rode to the mouth of Big Cottonwood Canyon. I walked Wasatch Blv. to Top of the World Drive and continued up the trail past the water tanks. The mountain was very spectacular and I had it all to myself. I followed the trail until near dark and at about 8400 feet, and bedded down on a sheet of plastic in a clearing in the deep snow. Camping alone was lonelier than I expected and I built a small fire to cook some noodles (no stove). Teh night was long, and I didn't sleep much, but he morning was bright and clear and the snow was frozen. Perfect conditions. Everything was beautiful and I climbed the west ridge of Storm Mountain to the summit. It was a good scramble. The views were just spectacular and the peaks still under a deep mantle of snow. After enjoying a long break, I followed the rige south to the saddle, and returned down Ferguson Basin to camp. On the way down I met several rock climbers in Lower Ferguson Canyon. "Climbing alone?" they asked. "Yes" I proudly responed.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-1 of 1
fortybelow

fortybelow - Aug 11, 2009 2:48 pm - Hasn't voted

nice

good job bud, Im considering doing Shasta and couple others solo next spring. And IM 16 yrs old :)

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Storm MountainTrip Reports