South Face- Redoubt Secrets

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 48.95780°N / 121.3011°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jul 10, 2005
The south route is not difficult but Becky’s description of the summit is obscure. After crossing the Depot-Redoubt Creek divide, drop down around the “Flying Buttress” to climb the second gully through the lower cliffs, right where Beckey’s dotted line shows the route. Climb to the top left side of the snow beneath the summit crags. Here a “freeway ledge”, not visible from below, leads up and to the right. The ledge dead-ends in a prominent, exposed, dirty gully whose ascent reaches the sling marked summit of “Wedoubt Peak” described some years ago in Signposts magazine. Don’t go there. Instead, back up 30’ and scramble up just west of a prominent rock pinnacle. This easy, protected ascent leads to a broad landing with views of the north face. Belay here and climb directly up easy stair step ledges, then up and to the right above the north face. A few last exposed steps further up and to the right feature good views of the north face ice fall far below, and reach a secure north gully that climbs a few feet to a cannonball hole with a secure belay stance. The last few feet to the summit can be protected from here. The rock pinnacle and the dirty gully are easily seen from the approach to the south but the ledge is difficult to see from below. The cannonball hole and the broad landing with the belay stance are easily seen from the Depot Creek valley above the Falls, and can be seen (with a magnifying glass) in Beckey’s north face photo. This ascent route cannot be rappelled without a shaky traverse from the north gully to the stair step ledges. Instead, climb through the cannonball hole (cool) and rappel the south face of the summit pinnacle. While a long rope might or might not reach the freeway ledge in a single rope length, our party rappelled about 30’, walked 20’ east and set up another rappel that dropped us into our ascent route west of the rock pinnacle.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-1 of 1
osatrik

osatrik - Aug 26, 2006 5:55 am - Voted 3/10

Give Fred His Due!

You might want to correct the spelling of Fred Beckey's name -- there are two "e"s. I'm on a campaign to fix this througout Summitpost.org. Make the fix and let me know, and I'll increase my score on your page.
This reminds me of the time I was talking with a buddy on the trail about various climbs, sprinkling the conversation with references to "Beckey says this" and Beckey says that". A neophyte climber with us finally asked "Who is this Becky, and how come she knows so much about climbing?"

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mount RedoubtTrip Reports