South Face

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 50.86670°N / 115.65°W
Additional Information Route Type: Alpine
Additional Information Time Required: A few days
Additional Information Difficulty: 5.5, III
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From the Kootenay Park road, take the road that goes to the mine, some 60 km from Radium Hot Spring. At the mine, turn right on the small dirt road for about 1 km. Park there, then fallow the trail to the base of the mountain. The hike should take some 4 to 5 hours. Camp pass the lake, on the high "plateau".

Route Description


When facing the south face of Assiniboine, climb left of the obvious pyramid. Route finding will be challenging.

Essential Gear


Rope (60m), crampon, ice axe, some Trad protection, slings that you'll leave behind when rappelling and a HELMET. Don't forget your helmet, rocks fall all the time on this mountain!

Camping


Once you reach the lake by approaching by the valley, you'll see a high plateau. This is where you should camp in order to have a chance to reach the summit. See picture.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.