South Face

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.24500°N / 119.654°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike / Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Difficulty: Class II / III
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Kennedy Peak is located approximately 8 miles from the Kennedy Meadows trailhead. The trail is well marked and maintained, and is an easy hike.

Route Description

The western ridge can be easily gained from any direction; either Kennedy Lake (north side) or Soda Springs Canyon (south side). Once on the western ridge, do not ascend the ridgeline to the summit as it is a mile long row of jagged volcanic teeth. Rather, traverse the south side of the ridge. Head southeast well below the ridgeline towards the obvious cirque between Kennedy Peak and Molo Mountain.

Just past the small tarn, turn north and start the ascent up the south face of Kennedy Peak. The south face consists of fairly stable, medium size volcanic rock scree. The route leads just left of the summit, up a slight chute. You'll need to jump on top of the 4 foot headwall to ascend the last 30 feet. As Kennedy Lake comes into view, watch your step here as the exposure on the north side of the wall is significant.

Essential Gear

Crampons, ice ax and rope may be required early in the season. No special equipment is needed during the summer other than for overnight backcountry camping.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.