South Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.34860°N / 119.2225°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

See the Getting There section of the main page to get to the trailhead. Also, see the McClellan Mountain Trail (West End) route of Fields Peak to get to the same trail.

Route Description

From the trailhead, go 1.5 miles to a fork. There will be a small square piece of plywood on a tree with an arrow pointing to the right. If you want to bag Fields Peak, head left and then come back or go cross country to get back on the ridge to Moore and Moon Mountains. If you want to go straight to Moon Mountain, take the right fork and you'll head to the saddle between Fields and Moore. The trail goes around to the left (north) side of Moore and then back to the ridge. Or, if you are hiking early in the season and there is snow on the north side, you can tramp onto the south side and traverse around there. You might catch some game trails or faint paths also there.

Once you are on the ridge again to the east of Moore Mountain, it is only a short distance to another smaller hump on the ridge and from there, a ridge heads north to Moon Mountain. Head north off trail here and walk the ridge to the summit. There is a faint path that goes just below Moon's ridge on the right (east ) side or you can just walk the ridge and easy scrambling to the summit and a small cairn that marks it.

It's about 5 miles from trailhead to Moon's summit.

Essential Gear

None needed.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.