South Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.65300°N / 119.32°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


The shortest approach is from the Granite Creek Campground (see "Getting There" section of main page). It is about 13 miles and 3,500' up to get to Isberg Pass. Take the single track trail that starts across the river. In about 2.5 miles you hit The Niche, a pass with good views to the South. Shortly after this you hit a junction where you take a left. Soon after there is another junction where you go right. At 4.5 miles you go past Cora Lakes (great swimming). Take a left at the juction in Detachment Meadow. At about 7.5 miles you hit the junction to Joe Crane Lake where you stay right and go past Sadler Lake at 9.5 miles. Proceed to Isberg Pass. The route starts here.

Route Description


There is no one way to get to the peak but start up the ridge going North to the peak, staying as high as possible. There is some brush at the top of the ridge here. The first part of the ridge is fairly straightfoward, just keep going up the ridge. At the point where the ridge steepens and the rock turns red, the ascent gets more difficult. There are large rocks to ascend. Alternate between the East and West sides of the ridge and find the easiest route up. The routefinding is not overly difficult. Soon the ridge flattens dramatically, and the summit is at the highpoint with a man-made rock tower. Notice that there is a point farther on the ridge, but that is not the peak. Isberg Peak is not really a peak but a ridge. Enjoy views of Ritter and Banner ot the East. The climb is about 1 mile round trip and ~500' up.

Essential Gear


Backpacking gear if you intend to stay the night. All that is needed for the climb in summer is a sturdy pair of boots or shoes.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.