South Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.30700°N / 111.588°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


See the directions on the front page for getting to the Dry Creek Trailhead via Squaw Peak Road.

Route Description


Follow the Dry Creek trail for about three miles to the south ridge, where the trail meets the trail coming up from the east (Shingle Mill Canyon/Big Springs Hollow) at about 9,600 feet. From here, Cascade's true summit looks a long ways away, and the route over the south ridge and south peak looks daunting. Continue up and over some grassy, rounded peaks before the ridge gets rockier and the scrambling begins. There are faint trails in spots, but much loose rock and some exposure on the steep slopes as you climb to South Cascade (10,761').

Once you've gained South Cascade, the worst is behind you. A short descent follows, then a climb over 10,680+, another descent, then the main summit. If this hasn't been enough punishment, you can continue north to the slightly lower North Cascade (10,874'). The route is about 12 miles roundtrip, and gains roughly 4,000 feet.

Essential Gear


Long pants and some gloves are advised for the rough terrain and sticky plants.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.