South Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.89600°N / 107.526°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From Silverton, Colorado, drive north-northeast on CR 2. After about 4 miles you will reach Howardsville, continue north for another 4 miles to Eureka. Here there is a sign recommending 4x4 or high-clearance vehicles. Follow this road for about three more slightly bumpy miles to a sign for Burns Gulch, which will be on your right. This is the Burns/Grouse Gulch Trailhead @ 10,700 feet. If you have a 4x4 and the ability to drive it, you can drive the road up Burns Gulch to about 11,700 feet and considerably shorten your day.

Route Description


From the Burns/Grouse Gulch Trailhead @ 10,700 feet, follow the 4x4 road high into Burns Gulch. At about 11,700 feet the road starts to turn to trail. Follow the good trail southeast to the Jones Peak and Niagara Peak saddle. This saddle sits at about 13,200 feet. From the saddle, continue 0.6 miles on the climbers trail north towards the summit of Jones. The trail goes all the way up, it starts on the west side of the ridge and switches up to the summit. The hike is easy with a couple sections that are steeper towards the summit. Once on the summit, the view is incredible.

Essential Gear


Nothing special. Just the basics.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.