South Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.31960°N / 112.7499°W
Additional Information Route Type: Steep Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Heart Mountain is accessible from ID-22, 18 miles west of Dubois, Idaho, exit 167 on I-15. Take the signed Warm Springs Road north, about 1.5 miles west of the Thermocal Mines facility. (Directions from Howe to the west.)

After entering the National Forest boundary, roads are generally deeply rutted and high clearance vehicles are recommended unless you have mastered the art of rut straddling in sedans. From ID-22 to South Ridge.

Route Description


Pass through the gate at the end of Crooked Creek Road, head to the left of the rock outcropping above the parking area, and head up the ridge.



This route is characterized by false summits. You ascend 3,600 in 2 miles, so it is also steep.

Essential Gear


Day hiking gear and water. There are no facilities at the trailhead.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.