South Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.86550°N / 120.12810°E
Additional Information Route Type: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2 scramble with a short and easy class 3 section.
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is a quick little class 2 scamble starting on the shores of Lake Aloha, ascending some talus to the saddle and following the south ridge to the summit.

Getting There

To get the begining of this little route follow the trail as described on the Cracked Crag home page from Echo Lakes to where the trail meets the PCT at Lake Aloha and head north for a hundred yards or so until you reach some grey granite slabs.

Route Description

Head up the slabs towards the edge of the woods and continue up the talus heading east until you see the obvious little chute as you angle north/climbers left. You will quickly gain the ridge. Continue heading north along the ridge. The funnest part of this route comes when you climb to a false summit. Here there is a very short class 3 climb. If there was significatnt exposure or if this section were longer some might call it class 4 but it's really just a very small section that anyone confortable scrambling up class 2 can easily do. But be careful because all of the rock on this peak is potentially loose.

Essential Gear

Nothing special unless you climb in the winter. You may want crampons and an axe.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.