South side

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.38600°N / 119.3307°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


See the overview from the front page.

Note that Andy Kerr's book, "Oregon Desert Guide : 70 Hikes", has a route listed from the northwest side but it is twice as long. The south side route is half the distance and the key is the 4WD road. See the information on the Kerr route down at the bottom of this page if you are using a passenger or low clearance vehicle, the Kerr route would be one to use.

Route Description


There is no trail up this peak (or hill or Butte or whatever). It is pick a route and make your own way. The 4WD road we went up is described on the overview as well as some GPS links.

You can do this from the southside like we did or from the north, west or east. There are no cliffs or rock faces to scramble, just a hike.

Distance from where we parked was less than 2 miles and only about 1000 feet of elevation gain.

Up and down in two to three hours. Watch for ticks and check yourself before you get back in your vehicle and wear snake gaiters as this is snake country (rattlers)


Essential Gear


Water, sunscreen and protective pants. Wear snake gaiters since this is rattlesake country as mentioned above and have a fun hike.

Miscellaneous Info


Andy Kerr route.

Mr. Kerr says to go 29 miles north on the Beaty Butte road to the turnoff to Willow Spring. He noted that there is a house trailer that marks this turnoff and that you should now backtrack 3/10 ths of a mile and park on public land. Beaty Butte is 3.2 miles to the south-southeast so expect your mileage to be 6.4 miles roundtrip and an elevation gain of 2600 feet. He feels that the best time to do this hike is late spring to the fall.

It is more than twice the miles and quite a bit more of elevation gain, roughly 1600 feet more.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.