South Slopes

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.64570°N / 106.3116°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Find the Cyclone Creek trailhead about 8 miles from the U.S. 50 turnoff onto County Road 240. Park at Shavano. The hike starts up a former jeep track, which has been closed off to vehicles. The track soon becomes a faint, sketchy trail. Guidebooks may tell you that the trail switches from the east side of Cyclone Creek to the west side, but I didn't see a crossing. I stayed on the east side, occasionally losing and occasionally following a faint trail through the willow thicket bordering the creek. It was not possible to make good time through the woods there, partially because of the many deep snow banks to be crossed in late May, and partially because of the boggy conditions and bush-whacking required when I was off the trail. The trail tends to parallel the stream about 50 yards to the east.

Hike 2.5 miles to a pond at the creek's origin. Grizzly Mountain looms directly in front of you most of the way.

Route Description


Choose a line directly up Grizzly Mountain's south face, for a steep but straightforward ascent. The rock is steep but fairly stable. You may find the line of least resistance leads you to join Grizzly's south or east ridge below the summit, in which case the final pitch to the summit should be obvious. Descend by the same route, unless you are continuing to another summit first.

Essential Gear


Hiking boots (preferably waterproof), and gaiters are very helpful.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.