South Slopes

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.87700°N / 111.758°W
Additional Information Route Type: Off trail hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


See the directions on the homepage, or see the Mount Nebo page (North route) for directions as they share the same trailhead.

Route Description


From the trailhead, continue walking the gentle 4WD road as it heads generally northwest for roughly two miles. We experienced very few travelers on this road. Look for a small opening that appears to be used for camping, this is where to leave the road. If you reach a saddle where you are greeted with a view west and the road starts to go down, you've gone about ten minutes too far.

From the opening look for a track leading west about 100 feet parallel to the dirt road. The track immediately splits, take the left and continue west just above the road. The trail heads west at a gentle grade, than turns north, then back east climbing steadily as it gains the summit ridge at 9,800 feet. From here you can see the open slopes of Bald Mountain up ahead. The next 400 feet are a bit of a struggle through shrubbery and terraces. Keep close to the ridge as best as you can. Once you get to about 10,200 the terrain gets more rocky and less vegitated. A track can be found most of the way from here to the 10,913 foot summit.

Essential Gear


Standard day hiking equipment, adequate water, and perhaps a good topo map if you're not comfortable with some easy routefinding.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.