South Spur

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 47.36120°N / 121.4618°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike with optional class 2 scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Distance: 3.5 miles one way
Time: 1-3 hours
Season: June through October

From the PCT #2000 trailhead in Olallie Meadows, head south. After traveling through Olallie Meadows, you enter the forest and cross several minor creeks. Slowly, elevation will be gained through the beautiful evergreen scenery. At approximately 4,500 feet you descend for several switchbacks and cross a rockslide. At that point an unmarked trail can be located just behind a large tree on the trail’s right side. Another .75 mile brings you to the base of the south spur (about 3 miles total).

Route Description


From the base of the south spur, go straight up the rockslide, then along the gradual shoulder and finally up the steep, but brief, open slope (or an optional easy class 2 scramble on the southwest of the ridge) to the summit.

Essential Gear


No technical gear is needed during the summer months. A winter ascent will require an ice axe and crampons.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.