Southeast "Arabian" Ridge via the "Knife Me" Couloir

Southeast "Arabian" Ridge via the "Knife Me" Couloir

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.24900°N / 105.626°W
Additional Information Route Type: Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: 50+ degree snow
Additional Information Grade: III
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

A long approach but very rewarding if you ever get it when conditions are right.

I proposed we go ski a sweet intricate route on Pagoda that through a few pictures had decided would go, especially after the big upslope.
It was 7pm and we planned to leave 3 hours later at 11.
All it took for Dave to come out was a phone call and the words “wild basin”, even with only an hour or two notice. We were like troops that had been called in for a mission.

....We napped at the trail before finishing off the 14.5 hr, 5,100 ft push.
Pretty sure this was a first descent, possibly first ski descent of the mountain too.

"Arabian Ridge via the Knife Me Couloir"

Getting There

Use the Sandbeach Lake TH off Wild Basin Rd. that is off Route 7 in RMNP.

Route Description

Start at Sandbeach Lake TH in Wild Basin, and start early. Try to stick to the trail to about 10300, then contour to the NW into Hunters Creek. Follow the creek to an unnamed tarn at 11,200. Bust up into the basin between Pagoda, Longs, and Meeker. Climb the SE facing couloir to gain the ridge proper. Look for a slot below some rock slabs and head for it. You'll wrap around the corner, then keep wraping up. Find another slot, this one gains the ridge. Head for the top. Ski your ascent route.

There were 3 main cruxes on the route proper. 1: the “Knife me couloir” 2: the wrap around slot thing 3: the hanging couloir.

Essential Gear

Add Essential Gear text here.

External Links

more photos: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=13834&id=1666583209&l=0e9da2e20f

Full TR: http://www.backcountryclub.org/1/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=26&func=view&catid=5&id=656

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.