Southeast Gully

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.73360°N / 119.9823°W
Additional Information Route Type: Snowshoe/Ski
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Take HWY 88 to the Hope Valley area just east of Carson Pass and park on the road at about 38.7267°N, 119.9540°W.

Route Description


Stevens Peak will be visible from the road. For the first half of the route you head basically straight up the gully toward the bowl on the south side of the peak staying to the south side of the creek which wanders through a sparsely wooded area. After gaining about 700 feet of elevation things level out. Continue west for just another 150 or 200 yards and cross the creek heading north. In front of you will be a broad open ridge which you follow up to the right, northwest. After another 600 feet of elevation gain the pitch flattens out again and you will see both the summit block and the bowl. From here you continue west into the bowl and either bear slightly right heading just north of what is usually a cornice or bear slightly left to gain the ridge south of the cornice.Either way the summit plateau is just to north.

Essential Gear


Snowshoes or skis.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.