Southeast Ridge via Espirit Point

Southeast Ridge via Espirit Point

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.61890°N / 106.2389°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike with scramble
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walkup with Scramble
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Starting at the Angel of Shavano Trailhead take the Colorado Trail north towards the Mount Shavano Trail. Before, you reach the Mount Shavano Trail, about 1 1/2 miles north, take the jeep road heading west. The jeep road deadends at an old mining area. This is were the route begins, there are no visible trails or markers.

Route Description


The only signs of a trail are an occasional cairn and a few sawed off tree limbs here and there. You will have to bushwack your way straight up the mountain out of the trees to the ridge. Once you reach the treeline, looking north you should see the Mount Shavano Trail on the south side of the ridge to your north. You will be paralleling this trail up towards Espirit Point. The ridge turns into a scramble near the top. Once you reach the top turn right, or north, and following the ridge over and down to the Mount Shavano saddle. From here you climb the 800 ft to the summit up the south side of Mount Shavano using the standard route.

This route is very fun for a beginning scrambler, but does add a couple of hours to the Mount Shavano climb.

Essential Gear


Since this route isn't on a trail, a compass and map, and the know-how to use them is required for the bushwacking section of the route below treeline.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.