Southeast Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.32500°N / 106.2181°W
Additional Information Route Type: Off-trail hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From the end of FR 861, head west for about a third of a mile on an atv road until a fork to the left appears. Take the left fork of the road to its first switchback, then leave the road and head generally southwest toward Antora's not yet visible Southeast Ridge. The bushwhacking is moderate. Eventually, the Southeast Ridge becomes visible and is best attained via the ridge's north slope a little west of treeline.

Route Description


The slope appears steep, but is quite stable and goes quickly. Once on the ridge, stay on the broad crest toward the summit now about .75 miles west. Total mileage one way to the summit is 2.7. Return the ascent route, or continue north and descend southeast from the saddle with unranked 12,860 for a more gentle descent .

Essential Gear


No special gear required - trekking poles may be desirable as with other steep descents.

Other routes


There is a published route in Colorado Summits for Everyone using the Colorado Trail entailing a 13 mile round trip hike on the west side of Antora Peak with 1,400 vertical feet of talus slope leaving the trail to the east.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.