Southeast Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.15990°N / 115.0616°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble w/ exposure
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 3-4
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Follow the well marked and maintained trail from Iron Creek Trailhead for 5.5 miles until you reach Sawtooth Lake. Along the way you will pass Alpine Lake at 3.3 miles. Just past Lake 8271, leave the trail.


Route Description

This classic scramble starts at the south end of Sawtooth Lake near Lake 8271.  From the lake, enter a gulley until it becomes almost vertical at which point you move west onto gentler tree-sloped terrain. Follow this ridge keeping left to avoid near vertical drop-offs. The ridge dead-ends at the summit dome.  From here it looks nearly vertical- there is a slot ledge system on the NE side of the summit dome.  This slot can be snow-filled and looks nearly impassible at time. Follow it for 50 exposed feet, looking down at Sawtooth Lake as to find a scree filled ledge.  Follow a rotten gulley to the summit ridge. Carefully retrace your steps. The majority of the scramble is Class 2-3, with just the summit pitch being Class 4.

Total Elevation Distance Gain from Iron Creek: 6.5 miles / 4200 feet 


Essential Gear

If your not comfortable with Class 4 exposure on loose rock, bring an alpine rope and harness

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.