Southeast Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.08220°N / 107.0964°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Scrambling, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This route up Orno Peak is a nice route that can be done in a day. The route passes through spruce forests, around high alpine lakes, and climbs a high alpine ridge with wildflowers. The route is only partially on trails and paths and will require some cross-country navigation.

Length: 6 to 8 miles, depending on specific route
Elevation Gain: 2,100 feet, assuming start at trailhead
Difficulty: Class 1 and 2

Orno Peak

Getting There

Follow the Getting There directions on the Orno Peak page to the Yamcola Reservoir. From the Yamcola Reservoir, take the first right after crossing the dam onto FR 906. Follow this dirt road to its end at the trailhead. The road is in good shape and most stock vehicles should be able to make it provided they have some ground clearance. Four wheel drive would be recommended if any mud or snow were present.

Approach

Orno Peak Southeast Ridge Route and Approach
The Summit RidgeFinal Summit Ridge

From the trailhead, follow the old 4x4 road up East Coal Creek. Cross the creek at an old, washed out bridge location. Follow the old road up the hill and stay left at an intersection. Follow the road as it peters out into a single track trail following up West Coal Creek’s drainage. When you arrive at a location with a view of Orno Peak, cross West Coal Creek and follow a faint trail through the forest and around swampy areas. Arrive at a grassy, east facing hillside. Ascend the hillside; it is recommended to use the small spur of a ridge on the hillside (as shown on the supplied topo).

Once on top, take the path of least resistance through spruce forests, across high alpine meadows, and around a couple nice ponds. Arrive at the base of the southeast ridge.
Southeast Ridge RouteThe view from the base of the Southeast Ridge Route

Route Description

When you have arrived at the base of the southeast ridge, survey your route to access the ridge above you. There are a few small cliff bands and large talus areas to negotiate to attain the ridge. Pick your way through the rocks and talus and gain the grass covered ridge. Follow the ridge to the summit. There are a few small rock steps that can be avoided along the way, or climbed to add some fun.
Orno Peak Summit ViewLooking towards Lost Lakes and Pyramid Peaks

Essential Gear

Standard hiking equipment in the summer and fall should be all that is necessary. In the winter and spring, this would be a great route. For winter and spring, skis and/or snowshoes would be recommended along with standard gear for that time of year.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Orno PeakRoutes