Southern Meadow

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.91130°N / 103.7135°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Leaving parking areaLeaving parking area

As with any mountain, there is a variety of ways to reach the summit of this peak, but the route described here could be considered the Standard Route to the summit of Medicine Mountain. There is no formal trail to the top, but segments of footpath can be woven together, combined with common sense navigation, to reach the top of this cool little peak.

Roundtrip Distance: Less than 1 mile, depending on exact parking location
Elevation Gain: About 500 feet, depending on exact parking location
YDS Class: 2


Getting There

Ascending the meadowAscending the meadow
Entering the woodsEntering the woods


Driving directions from Hwy 385 northbound out of Custer…
• Head west/northwest on CR 297, passing the Boy Scout camp, for several miles to FS 299.
• Turn left at the fork in the road onto FS 299 (Bobcat Road). Any standard passenger vehicle can get this far.
• Turn right on FS 1H. From here you will want high clearance in dry conditions and need 4x4 in wet conditions.
• FS 3M cuts across the southern slopes of the mountain. Look for an unmarked road (which appears on some maps and not on others, including the Trails Illustrated Maps) heading up the southern meadow across the western edge of the peak. Find a place to park.

Route Description

Working through the rocks just below the summit of Medicine Mountain


Working through rocks (a)
Working through rocks (b)
Working through rocks (c)


Descending through the woodsDescending through the woods
Down meadow to parkingDown meadow to parking


• Head up the unmarked road that cuts across the western edge of the peak.
• Near where this road levels out, look for a faint foothpath running east-ish through the brush and grass.
• Ascend the meadow toward the trees.
• Again, keep an eye peeled for a faint footpath through the trees, threading its way through the first gentle rock bands to another higher opening.
• Cross this small opening in the trees, aiming for the western side of the summit rocks. Select the line you prefer up through these rocks, your ascent should not exceed Class 2+ unless you want it to.
• Stroll southeast along the summit ridge to the apex and enjoy the views!

Essential Gear

Outerwear appropriate to the season and plenty of water, along with a map (and compass or GPS, as always) should be sufficient! A 4-wheel drive with descent clearance will shorten the hike.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.