Southern Slopes (standard)

Southern Slopes (standard)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.77420°N / 114.142°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike/Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class III+
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


To access the Southern Slopes Route (standard) from Hailey Idaho, drive north on Highway 75 for 7 miles until reaching the East Fork Road leading east from the highway at a stoplight. If coming from Ketchum, travel south on Highway 75 for 75 miles and take the same road.

Take the East Fork Road about 10-15 minutes through several subdivisions until reaching the old mining town of Triumph. Shortly after reaching Triumph, the road turns to dirt and forks. Take the left fork.

Follow this grade-A dirt road a few more miles until reaching a sign that says "Road closed in 1 mile.". From here, the road narrows and traverses across a hillside but remains passable by all vehicles.

East Fork Road then comes to a large parking area for Hyndman Trailhead. Don't be confused but this is not your trailhead. At the far end of the lot, look for a faint jeep road that continues due north paralleling the North Fork Hyndman Creek. Take this less than one-tenth of a mile to reach a second small parking area. Park here.

Route Description


Route Stats
  • Total Mileage:14
  • Total Elevation Gain:5,700'
  • Class:III+
    From the trailhead area, one trail leaves heading north, this is the North Fork Hyndman Creek Trail. Take the well worn, gradual trail three miles north through meadows, woods, and along streams.

    At three miles, the trail breaks into the basin below Handwerk Peak and begins switchbacking up the hill to the west toward Pioneer Cabin. At the first switchback, look for a trail continuing up the basin that is sometimes blocked by branches and twigs and sometimes clear. Take this trail through the basin .5 miles until it fades near some willows. Keep to the west of the willows and stream heading for a typical, Pioneer Mountain headwall made of white limestone slabs and pockets of thick evergreen brush.

    Abes Armchair photo_id=191754


    Climb up these, being sure to bias to the western side, until reaching roughly 9,300'. Here, it is possible to traverse across the basin to the base of Handwerk Peak and the basin below it.

    Once in the stunning basin below Handwerk and Duncans Peaks, continue northeast for a little more than a mile until reaching the 10,000' mark. From here the terrain grows steeper and more rocky. Climb up the center of the cirque keeping near where brush grows to avoid stubborn, house-sized boulders.

    Then at 10,500, cross a small shelf, hidden from the area below, and get ready to attack the headwall of the southern slopes. Continue northeast for another 800' on very large boulders aiming for the saddle between the Florians Nudl and Goat Mountain.

    From the saddle turn northwestward And climb another .5 miles to the reach the first summit.

    The route takes a dramatic and drastic swing the moment one gains the first summit, turning from a boulder scramble to an exposed traverse on all fronts.

    From the first summit, downclimb onto a series of ledges and cracks on the east face to reach the saddle between two summits. There is exposure involved but handholds are good and apparent keeping this a class III route. Be advised, just the smallest amount of snow on this section creates a new set of hazards, be sure to climb in late-August as suggested.

    From the saddle, work bak onto the main south ridge and climb to the exposed summit where a large boulder sits as if some one dropped it on accident.

    Essential Gear


    It is recommended that if pushing an early season ascent (anything before August), to bring an ice axe and crampons for the traverse between the two summits.

    Miscellaneous Info


    If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


  • Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.