Southwest Gullies

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.78990°N / 109.198°W
Additional Information Route Type: Easy rock climb
Additional Information Time Required: A few days
Additional Information Difficulty: Grade II Class 4
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


See mainpage for approaches to Lonesome Lake. From the outlet, hike to Seclusion Lake (10,702') .

Route Description


From the lake, several couloirs (they are more like gullies) rise NE to the summit plateau. The easiest route, if found, goes at Class 4 but low Class 5 moves will likely be encountered. On the skyline is a keyhole in the ridge. It seems obvious to head towards this feature (and may be cairned) but gullies to the right can also be used and, while they begin as steep slabs, they bypass the worst parts of the ridge. There is some loose rock. Above, contour around west summit and walk east to true summit. On return the sharp gendarmed ridge can be followed to 12,537' Camels Hump and from there descended to Texas Pass. Or the loop can be done in reverse. Allow a couple hours for the Class 4 ridgeline.

Essential Gear


Full backpacking gear. Rope for climbers who may request a belay. Rock shoes (as if you'd go to this area without them).

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.