Southwest Gully

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 47.78465°N / 121.08787°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Not for beginners
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The southwest gully route on Lichtenberg Mountain begins slightly southeast of Lake Valhalla. While not overly dangerous, care must be taken to avoid injury and/or death. This is a class three scree climb up a gully that is steep in places.

Getting There

See the "getting there" section on the Lichtenberg Mountain page.

Route Description

Whether you take the rocky east shore, or the narrow and at times steep west shore, traverse around the lake to the south. At the southeast area of the lake, begin a slight ascent to the southeast, looking for the obvious rock filled gully. BE CAREFUL, as there is more than one gully on the west side of this mountain. When faced with a choice, take the middle gully! Ascend this gully to the point where it terminates- here, ascend around the first small cliff band to the left (north).

Ascending Lichtenberg MountainThe first band of rock and cliffs.


Once past the small cliff band, ascend to the right towards a gentle saddle. From the saddle, climb northwest if you're feeling adventurous, lucky, and like exposure; traverse northeast for an easier ascent.

Lichtenberg MountainThe final ascent towards the summit of Lichtenberg Mountain.


Descent is the opposite of ascent. A fall on the descent may be unstoppable in places.

Trailhead elevation: 3,800 ft
Summit elevation: 5,844 ft
Elevation gain from Lake Valhalla to the summit: 1,014 ft
Mileage from trailhead to summit: approximately 4.5 miles each way.
Travel time required: 7-8 hours round trip on average.

Essential Gear

This route is best climbed with little to no snow cover. In addition to the 10 essentials, proper footwear (tennis shoes won't cut it) and a helmet (if climbing as a group) are essential. Crampons, an ice axe, and snow pro are required if attempting this line in winter conditions.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.